Monday, December 15, 2008

Little Aussie Friends


One thing I've always really appreciated about Alaska is that if something's going to kill you, at least you'll see it coming.  Not so in Australia.  This morning I had the pleasure of catching a Red Back Spider (pictured here) sneaking up under my bike seat just as I was about to ride off to work.  Scared the bejeezus out of me - the idea of Australia's deadliest spider biting me in the ass as I pedaled to work was quite unsettling.  So, after a bit of flailing about and other ridiculous acts, I managed to flick it on to the ground and stomp it a few extra times for good measure.
   I wondered, after the initial shock wore off, if I hadn't overreacted just a wee bit - just how 'deadly' are these spiders, because Australians don't seem to live in mortal fear of these pea-sized murderers.  The morbidity rate from the Red Back is, in fact, diminishingly small.  It seems that they're only a real threat to children, the elderly and the infirm, and there have been no reported deaths since the development of an antivenom.  Turns out one has several hours to receive treatment after being bitten and it's only needed if symptoms get nasty (i.e. vomiting, excess sweating, pain beyond the region of the bite, etc.)  But still, I think a bite might have ruined my day.

2 comments:

Jenny Cathey said...

Oh my gosh!!! That's crazy! It looks very much like a black widdow (although the image in the blog didn't come through and I googled it instead). I have issues with spiders, especially since this one has a bulbous abdomen and skinny legs. Gives me the willies just thinking about it! I think you should stomp on that spot for good luck from now on!

Julie said...

Leslie, that was hands down, the funniest post I've read anywhere in awhile. I had such an image painted in my brain because frankly, I would have done the same exact thing and then laughed later at the over reaction. I hate spiders so much.. watch out for those little blood suckers!