Saturday, November 22, 2008

New Job!

It seems an insurmountable task to stay up-to-date on this blog anymore, but I'm still giving it the ol' college try.  The biggest news of the past week or so is the job I've been offered.  A few weeks ago, I interviewed for a lecturer position in applied geology at Curtin Uni, just around the corner from my present office.  I felt that the interview itself went really well, but the 45 minute public talk I gave to a hand-full of geo-types was kind of a blur, so it was difficult for me to honestly assess my chances.

When the department chair called me a couple of weeks later, the tone of his voice and the way he beat around the bush convinced me he was trying to find a way to let me down easy.  So, imagine my surprise when he told me that after careful consideration the committee had decided, almost unanimously, that I was the best candidate for the job.  They were very impressed with me and, as it turns out, they were thanking their lucky stars that I was in the right place at the right time because I have exactly the skill set they were hoping for.  It turns out that igneous petrology is an area of great need in addition to a passion for teaching.  Lucky me.

So, I negotiated my contract last week and will be returning to Perth on a three-year contract to start July 1, 2009.  This gives me just a few more months to finish up my Ph.D. and try to crank out a few more papers (woo hoo).  As sad as I am to leave Alaska, I am very excited about the prospect of teaching full time and living in Australia.

5 comments:

jason a said...

Congrats!

Jenny Cathey said...

WAHOO!!! That's tremendous! I'm so happy for you!!! (sad for the 'Banks, though) I knew you'd find your path down there!

Ed Plumb said...

wow--does this mean no more crazy soaking trips out at tolo-nirvana? we will miss you this new years...glow sticks and all. good to hear that all is well.

Ali and Dave said...

Leslie!!! wow! congratulations!!!!! Though, I'm very sad to hear you won't be coming back to Fairbanks to stay. Guess we'll just have to visit you down under....

Julie said...

Leslie - congrats! I'm glad things worked out for you but we'll miss you in Fairbanks.. amazing how plans can change, huh? Hope you can make it for one more karaoke night at the Pumphouse.. :)