Monday, September 1, 2008

Araluen Botanic Park



    Originally established in 1929 as a holiday camp for the Young Australian League, Araluen is a little piece of Eden just outside of Perth.  Rob and I wanted to get out and enjoy the great outdoors this weekend, but I was worried that a long hike would trigger my plantar fasciitis and leave me pretty miserable for the City to Surf fun run on Sunday.  So, we pulled out the Lonely Planet and worked out that this is pretty much prime time for flowers in WA and headed to this little gem less than an hour's drive away.

   Since I'm a total sucker for gardens wherever I travel, I always try to keep 
my expectations low, so as not to feel that it's been a waste of time/money - Araluen, however, wasn't in any danger of disappointing anyone's hopes.  Rob, being even more of plant aficionado

 than I, was truly in heaven, pointing out all of the native Australian varieties and savoring every blossom.








No comments: