Thursday, May 14, 2009

Rob's March Visit Part II

So I kinda glossed over the most exciting part of Rob's visit in Part I - we got engaged!

~The Engagement~
   I had an inkling that Rob was going to ask me to marry him while he was visiting, but I wasn't exactly sure just how he was going to go about it.  I fully expected it at the airport, but it didn't happen (although that was his intention).  Instead he was extremely anxious about the aurora forecast, abnormally so for someone who isn't exactly into aurora photography as a hobby.  He constantly asked me when we could see it and was terribly (disproportionately, I might say) disappointed when I informed him that this was an unusually bad year for it.
   Then one night the forecast was decent, so we decided to go out for a little aurora sighting.   Fortified with a few glasses of wine (Rob not me), we set off to Goldstream Valley to see what there was to see.  Within seconds of pulling off the side of the road, Rob was instantly disappointed by the quality of the aurora.  I was a little befuddled and tried to point out to him what it was doing, but much to my confusion he barely looked out the window.  Then he asked if I could turn on the dome light in the car - uh, OK…
  Then, from within the depths of his multitude of layers, he produced a small box and a folded up piece of paper and began to read:

Leslie, your many qualities make you a very special person; your smile and laughter give me happiness; your beauty and passion drive me wild; your intelligence and determination give me pride and admiration for you; your love and affection sustains me, I crave it.  You complete me.


Being with you gives me a full and happy life.  If I have ever been sure about anything, I know I am sure about you and us, and that I want to spend the rest of my life with you.  You are my friend, my confidant, my lover, and my companion.


Leslie, will you marry me?


  

Well, of course I said 'yes', and then suggested we head to Ivory Jack's to celebrate in good Fairbanks style with all of our new best friends.


No comments: